Plant name: Aspalathus linearis
Active Constituents: Polyphenols Aspalathin and Nothofagin
- Demonstrated antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities through its unique polyphenol content
- Caffeine-free and comparatively low tannin status
- Contains sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and trace elements such as zinc.
- The large number of flavonoids contained in Rooibos might play some role in this mechanism and antioxidant activities
- Rooibos tea may reduce DNA damage from oxidation stress by its anti-oxidative activity in vivo.
- Other physiological effects include such as anti-microbial activity in cells an inhibitory effect on oxidative stress, and hepatoprotective effects (liver)