Plant name: Glycyrrhiza glabra
Active constituents: Glycyrrhizin, Flavonoids, Sterols, Coumarins
- Anti-ulcer: enhances mucus secretion and has activity against H.Pylori
- Anti-inflammatory: decrease generation of ROS by neutrophils, decrease NF Kappa B
- Hepatoprotective: enhances glucoronidation, decreased liver fatty acid accumulation
- Licorice root has been found to mimic aldosterone by potentiating cortisol and for adrenocortical deficiency
- Glycyrrhizic acid, one of the main constituents of licorice, also decreases inflammation by enhancing movement of leukocytes towards inflamed areas.